Longtime Richwood Place resident, Ralph Mills

Former neighbor Ralph Mills died on Friday at the VA Hospital. Ralph and his wife Louise lived at 1850 Norfolk and most recently had been residing in a assisted living facility in Pasadena. Ralph was the unofficial “Mayor” of Richwood Place, always a security watchman walking the neighborhood replacing trash containers, tossing the newpaper closer to the front doors and many other unknown acts of kindness. He and Louise have been sorely missed. An obituary will appear in tomorrow’s Sunday Houston Chronicle. Arrangements are with Forest Park Lawndale Funeral Home with visitation tomorrow from 4 -6 in the afternoon and the service will be Monday morning at South Main Baptist Church.

Letter to Neighbors from Rebekah El-Hakam

Dear Neighbors,

I hope you all are having a wonderful start to 2011. We held our first RPCA meeting of the year last night at Zoe’s Kitchen. We have many new Board members as well as Committee Members and Chairs who will be serving our neighborhood this year. Please see the minutes for more details. Thank you to Jennifer Baker for posting them to www.richwoodplace.org

I’d like to start by saying a special thank you to Laura Mullen and Larry Wood for their years of service to Richwood Place. We appreciate the many hours you have volunteered and served on the Board of RPCA. Thank you.

I’d also like to introduce myself for those of you who do not know me. My husband, Moustapha and I have lived in our house on Lexington for six years. We have four children; Bakri- age 5 1/2, Maddux- age 4, Trinity- age 2 and Leeland- 6 months. We have a very busy and full house! We have been active members of the civic association for 6 years. I’ve served as Vice President and most recently as Chair of the Deed Restrictions Committee. This is my first opportunity to serve as president. I am a full time mom who also works as a contemporary worship leader at my home church, St. Andrew’s Presbyterian in West University Place. I enjoy singing, songwriting, cooking and baking, blogging, yoga and travel. I feel very blessed to belong to this neighborhood and will endeavor to be a positive voice for Richwood Place. I promise to work diligently to address issues. Please call me or email me with any suggestions, concerns or ideas. I am looking forward to a great year.

During the meeting, we discussed our biggest concern as a neighborhood- crime and illegal activity. We believe that many of the problems we are facing are directly connected to the apartment complex- Houston Medical Apartments at 1901 Richmond. We are focused on this property and what we can do to clean this area up. The Security/Safety Committee has placed this as a high priority and it is their first action item of the year.

Please put the following number in your cell phone: 713-884-3131. This is HPD’s non-emergency line. Call them whenever you see any suspicious activity and report it. We will receive more police presence if we have more calls coming in. If it is an emergency, please dial 9-1-1.

I’d also like to ask you to call our District D Councilmember, Wanda Adams. Her office number is 832-393-3001. We are asking for her help and for the City of Houston’s help in dealing with the safety issues we are experiencing from the residents and guests of the 1901 Richmond Property.

Happy New Year!

Sincerely,
Rebekah
President, Richwood Place Civic Association, 2011

Rebekah Maddux El-Hakam
281-804-2157 cell

General Meeting Minutes – January 11, 2011

Richwood Place Civic Association General Meeting

January 11, 2011 7 p.m.
Zoe’s Kitchen

Agenda

  1. 2011 Dues
  2. 2011 Officers, Committee Chairs, Committee Members and Counselors
    • President
    • Vice President
    • Treasurer
    • Secretary
    • Deed Restriction Committee
    • Safety/Security Commmittee
    • Capital Improvement Projects (CIP) Committee
    • 2 Counselors
  3. Street  Sign Toppers
  4. Deed Restriction Update
  5. Security/Neighborhood Protection Update
  6. Treasurer’s Report
  7. Next RPCA Meeting Date

Minutes

Daniel Baker, Vice President, called the meeting to order

Officers present:

Vice President: Daniel Baker
Treasurer: Larry Wood

Regrets given from Laura Mullen who was unable to attend due to a family illness

Discussion Item  1: 2011 Dues

All members requested to pay dues.  Click here for information.

Discussion Item 2: 2011 Officers Committee Chairs, Committee Members and Counselors

The following individuals were nominated:

    • President – Laura Mullen and Rebekah El-Hakam
    • Vice President – Daniel Baker
    • Treasurer – Sue Bailey
    • Secretary – Andy Stefaniak
    • Deed Restriction Committee Chair – Brian Kilpatrick
    • Safety/Security Committee Chair – Larry Wood
    • CIP Committee Chair – Daniel Baker
    • Counselors (2 available) – John Geiss and Brian Trudeau

All uncontested positions were unanimously approved.  An election was required for President, however, there was concern the current President was not in attendance due to family illness.  The Vice President held a vote to determine whether or not to proceed and the majority (9 to 6) was in favor of continuing the vote for President as scheduled.  The vote was held and Rebekah held the majority (10 to 5).

New committee volunteers included:

    • Deed Restriction Committee – Raymond Eich
    • Safety/Security Committee – Sue Bailey
    • CIP Committee – Brian Kilpatrick, Cliff Helmcamp, Moustapha El-Hakam and Judy Clark

Discussion Item 3: Street Sign Toppers

Cliff Helmcamp presented the proposed design created by Jerry Jeanmard.  Detailed information and cost break down will be presented at the next meeting for final vote.  Sponsors are requested to help cover the cost.

Discussion Item 4: Deed Restriction Update

Rebekah El-Hakam stated there were no updates since the last meeting.

Discussion Item 5: Security/Neighborhood Protection Update

Larry Wood will forward an email recently received from Officer Pate.

Concern was raised over two recent incidents of people ringing doorbells asking for money. Residents are reminded to call the police regarding any suspicious activity.  It was noted a home was entered by a stranger recently at the corner of Hazard and Norfolk  while the homeowner was in the front yard.

Concerns were raised about the apartment complex on Richmond.  The Security Committee agreed to an action item to try to improve the situation.  It was suggested the Security Committee request help from the City Inspector or City Council.

Discussion Item 6: Treasurer’s Report

Larry Wood provided an update at the meeting and will be happy to provide further information to members if requested.

Larry will send a reminder to members to pay their 2011 dues.

Discussion Item 7: Next RPCA Meeting Date

The next meeting date is scheduled for Tuesday, April 12, 2011 at 7p.m.

January Civic Association Meeting

Please join us at Zoe’s Kitchen tomorrow (Tuesday) evening from 7-8pm for the first Richwood Place Civic Association meeting in 2011.

We’ll be collecting 2011 membership dues, holding elections for officers, organizing improvement projects, and discussing new issues.

Please contact on this post if you are interested in running for a position (president, vice president, secretary, treasurer, councilor) or if you’d be willing to chair a committee (deed restriction, safety, parks, CIP, mobility), or if you’re interested in becoming a block captain. Additionally, let me know if you have any items for the agenda.

2011 RPCA Dues are Due!!!

It’s that time again, so please make sure to either pay your dues before the meeting or bring a check. You must be current on your dues in order to vote in the elections.

Our annual dues ar $25, but we will never turn down more!

Thanks,

Laura

RPCA General Meeting and Officer Elections – Tuesday, January 11th

Hello all -

I hope that everyone had a safe and happy Holiday season.  As we discussed in the December meeting, our annual elections will be held next Tuesday at 7PM, at Zoe’s Kitchen.

Here are a few of the ways you can get involved:

President
Vice-President
Secretary
Treasurer
Councilor (2)
Deed Restriction Chair and Committee
Safety Restriction Chair and Committee
Park Chair and Committee
CIP Chair and Committee
Neartown Chair and Committee
Mobility Chair and Committee
Block Captain

If you are currently in one of these positions and want to it again next year, please let me know.  If you would like to run or be appointed to one of these, also please let me know.

I’ll put the meeting reminder signs up this weekend, and I hope to see all of you on Tuesday!

Thanks -

Laura